Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Columbia, Alabama

 
 
Columbia, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
1. Columbia, Alabama Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1820, Columbia was originally located about a mile south, near where the Omussee Creek flows into the Chattahoochee River. It served as the county seat of Henry County from 1826 to 1833. Bordering the State of Georgia and the Chattahoochee River, Columbia was a major port-of-call for steamboats and was known to many as “Old Columbia.” The town was incorporated in 1880 and was the center of education, culture, commerce, and trade. Located in the southeast corner of Alabama, Columbia was the largest town in the area during the 19th century and remains one of the area’s oldest continuously operating municipalities. When the railroad came in 1889, Columbia’s river trade diminished; however, Columbia sustained itself as a thriving farming community through the mid-20th century. Columbia received its first cotton textile mill in 1891 and its first electric plant in 1892. A branch of the Henry County Courthouse was located here from 1889 until Columbia became part of Houston County in 1903. Columbia got electric street lights in 1900 and its first electric utility company in 1914.
 
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Columbia.
 
Location. 31° 17.562′ N, 85° 6.704′ W. Marker
Marker area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
2. Marker area
is in Columbia, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West Church Street (Alabama Route 52), on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Click for map. Located at southwest corner of intersection in a small park. Marker is at or near this postal address: South Main Street, Columbia AL 36319, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Columbia Jail / Columbia (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Columbia Methodist Episcopal Church, South (about 600 feet away); Purcell - Killingsworth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 2.1 miles away in Georgia); Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge / Fannie Askew Williams Park (approx. 2.2 miles away in Georgia); Hilton United Methodist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away in Georgia); Covered Bridge 2 Mi. (approx. 2.8 miles away in Georgia). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
 
Also see . . .  Columbia, Alabama - Historic Sites & Points of Interest. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Previous buildings located here. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
3. Previous buildings located here.
Marker inside this park. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
4. Marker inside this park.
Columbia Historical Society across street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
5. Columbia Historical Society across street.
Columbia Volunteer Fire/Rescue down the street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
6. Columbia Volunteer Fire/Rescue down the street.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement