Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dothan in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Shelley General Store

 
 
Shelley General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
1. Shelley General Store Marker
Inscription.
Side 1
William Lafayette Shelley (1868-1953), son of Mark Shelley and Mary Jane Ronie Shelley, was a progressive farmer and entrepreneur in the Tumbleton community of Henry County, Alabama. “Papa Billy”, as he was known by family, impacted the religious, educational, political and banking fabric of the county. He built this store near his home in 1911 as a cannery for canning vegetables as well as peaches acquired from Georgia. His canned goods carried the Shelley label. The cannery later closed and became the Shelley General Store. The store became a gathering place where “Tall Tales” were exchanged.
(Continued on other side)
Side 2
(Continued from other side)
Men would sit around the pot bellied stove in winter shucking oysters and pitching hulls out the rear window. A blacksmith shop stood next to the store. Dewey Shelley, a son of Mr. Billy, became the store operator. The Shelley Store closed in 1932 and was used for storage when Mr. Billy built a new store nearby. From 1978-83, this building housed Jo's Antiques owned and operated by Jolaine Masters, a granddaughter of Mr. Billy. This building again was used for storage until 1994, when the William (Billy) Lafayette Shelley family donated the Shelley General Store
Shelley General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
2. Shelley General Store Marker
to the Dothan Landmarks Foundation.
 
Erected 2006 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Henry County Historical Group and Mac Davis, Jr. (great grandson of W. L. "Billy" Shelley).
 
Location. 31° 17.355′ N, 85° 22.177′ W. Marker is in Dothan, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Landmark Drive and Reeves Street (U.S. 431). Click for map. Located inside Landmark Park. This park has entry fees. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Landmark Drive, Dothan AL 36303, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Headland Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waddell House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mallalieu Seminary (approx. 1.6 miles away); Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cherry Street African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Steamboat Era (approx. 4.6 miles away); Federal Building (approx. 4.6 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dothan.
 
Also see . . .
1. Landmark Park. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Landmark Park History
Shelley General Store image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
3. Shelley General Store
. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Landmarks
 
Martin Drugstore next door image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
4. Martin Drugstore next door
Landmark Park Entrance (Unpaved road) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
5. Landmark Park Entrance (Unpaved road)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement