Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dothan in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Waddell House

 
 
The Waddell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
1. The Waddell House Marker
Inscription.
Side 1
This quaint turn of the century farmhouse originally stood on an 80 acre farm, located 2 miles west of the Houston County Courthouse. The house was built by Bud Bush of heart pine lumber from the sawmill owned and operated by Lesker H. Waddell. In 1906 Mr. Waddell purchased the house and acreage, completely furnishing it during the next three years. In 1909 he brought his bride, Gypsy Hall, to live on the farm. Three children, Earl, Byrd and Iona were born in this house. The house and furnishings remained unaltered until the death of Mrs. Waddell in 1976. Mr. Waddell died in 1956.

Side 2
This house was threatened with destruction by Dothan's rapid growth. In 1978 the Waddell Family donated the house and outbuildings to the Dothan Landmarks Foundation. In January 1979 these buildings were moved to this site as the first phase toward the development of the Landmarks Center for Natural Science and History.

Today this house and surrounding land stand as a living memorial to the early farmers of the Wiregrass Area who contributed so much to our heritage.
 
Erected 1979 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Dothan Landmarks Foundation.
 
Location. 31° 17.325′ N, 85° 
The Waddell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
2. The Waddell House Marker
22.094′ W. Marker is in Dothan, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Landmark Drive and Reeves Street (U.S. 431). Click for map. Located inside Landmark Park. This park has entry fees. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Landmark Drive, Dothan AL 36303, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shelley General Store (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Headland Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Mallalieu Seminary (approx. 1.6 miles away); Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cherry Street African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Steamboat Era (approx. 4.6 miles away); Federal Building (approx. 4.6 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dothan.
 
Also see . . .
1. Landmark Park - Dothan, Alabama. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Landmark Park - The Encyclopedia of Alabama. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Waddell House image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
3. The Waddell House
Landmark Park Entrance Sign (unpaved road) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 1, 2014
4. Landmark Park Entrance Sign (unpaved road)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement