Dothan in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Headland Presbyterian Church
Organized on July 8, 1897 by the commission of South Alabama Presbytery. From the original seventeen members, J.D. Jones, N. M. McDonald, and I. M. Barton were elected ruling elders and Dr. Charles Sporman, D. R. Redding, and W. R. McDonald were elected deacons. A site on Scott Street, one block south of the square, was donated by Dr. Sporman and a building committee was appointed. $240 was subscribed for building materials from the membership. Around turn-of-the-century, a businessman by the name of Priced moved to Headland and joined the church. He offered to provide most of the labor and materials for the building. (see other side)
The East Alabama Presbytery announced in Montgomery on October 13, 1908 that "By special help from Montgomery First Church and Dothan, the congregation at Headland was encouraged to build and has just completed a lovely church 35 x 35 and owe no man anything except to love one another." The membership declined and on September 18, 1966 the Church was dissolved by the Presbytery. The building was donated to Landmark Park by Mr. Sporman Knowles and moved to its present site in 1983. The church was then restored and furnished with the help of the Headland Community and other friends of Landmarks.
Location. 31° 17.378′ N, 85° 22.18′ W. Marker is in Dothan, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Landmark Drive and Reeves Street (U.S. 431). Click for map. Located inside Landmark Park. This park has entry fees. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Landmark Drive, Dothan AL 36303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shelley General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waddell House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mallalieu Seminary (approx. 1.6 miles away); Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cherry Street African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square (approx. 4.6 miles away); Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dothan.
Also see . . .
1. Landmark Park - Dothan, Alabama. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Landmark Park History. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.