Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lutheran Cemetery

 
 
Lutheran Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 6, 2008
1. Lutheran Cemetery Marker
Inscription. In March of 1768, Colonel Joseph Chapline executed a deed to the Mount Cavalry Lutheran Church Vestrymen for a church and burial ground at this site. The cost was to be one peppercorn yearly. This graveyard is the oldest in the town of Sharpsburg. Some headstones date to 1774.
 
Erected by Washington County Historical Advisory Committee.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Washington County Historical Advisory Committee marker series.
 
Location. 39° 27.547′ N, 77° 44.707′ W. Marker is in Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Boonsboro Pike (State Highway 34), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Slave Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); D.R. Jones' Division, Longstreet's Command (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named D.R. Jones' Division, Longstreet's Command (about 700 feet away); Longstreet's Command (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Longstreet's Command
Lutheran Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 6, 2008
2. Lutheran Cemetery Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Hood's Division, Longstreet's Command (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reserve Artillery, Longstreet's Command (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Longstreet's Command (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Confederate Signal Station image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 6, 2008
3. Confederate Signal Station
A wooden sign in the cemetery points out the 1862 Lutheran Church site. Used as a signal station by Lee. Was also a Union Hospital.
The Lutheran Church Site image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 6, 2008
4. The Lutheran Church Site
The Church stood near this iron enclosure. During the Battle of Antietam, the grounds were used by the Confederates both as a staging ground and signal station.
Lutheran Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 6, 2008
5. Lutheran Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,014 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement