“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksburg in Harrison County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Towers School

Towers School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe
1. Towers School Marker
Inscription. Built in 1894 and named in honor of Reverend George Towers, graduate of Oxford, England who was a teacher at Randolph Academy. The Academy, authorized by the Virginia Assembly in 1787, stood just to the east and was the principal regional school from 1795 to 1843. The Northwestern Virginia Academy, incorporated by the Virginia Legislature in 1842, occupied this site from 1843-1893.
Erected 1980 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Location. 39° 16.828′ N, 80° 20.256′ W. Marker is in Clarksburg, West Virginia, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of South 2nd Street and West Pike Street (West Virginia Route 20), on the right when traveling north on South 2nd Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarksburg WV 26301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Northwest Academy (here, next to this marker); The Immigrants (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Stonewall" Jackson (about 700 feet away); Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson Monument (about 700 feet away); Union Meetings (about 700 feet away); Clarksburg (about 700 feet away); U.S.S. West Virginia Bow Flag Staff (about 700 feet away); Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson Birthplace (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Clarksburg.
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 57 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement