Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newberry Springs in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Historic Mojave River Road

 
 
Historic Mojave River Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By "Turbo" Dave Hicks, May 5, 2013
1. Historic Mojave River Road Marker
Inscription. The River Bluff Ranch is on the north bank of the Mojave River near the historic locations of Calico Ghost Town, Newberry Springs, Yermo, and abandoned relics of U.S. Army outpost Camp Cady. To the east are the Mojave Road, the Old Spanish Trail, and the Salt Lake Trail (Mormon Road) that all converge near Daggett.

The Mojave River has been described as “upside-down” and “backwards” because water generally flows below ground and inland from Silverwood Lake (near Cajon Pass) to Soda Dry Lake. Ancient desert Indians used the river as a trade route to and from the Pacific coast. This route would later be called the Mojave Road.

In 1776, Fr. Francisco Garces was the first European to use this route to reach the Southern California missions from the Mojave Desert. In 1826 Jedediah Smith passed this way to become the first American to reach the California coast via an overland trail. In the 1860ís, the U.S. Army established Camp Cady on this route in an effort to make it safe for other travelers. Later Kit Carson and John Fremont were among those who traversed this route. The Mojave Road soon became a primary route from Los Angeles to the Arizona Territory and points east. On the left and right sides of this monument are the original cornerstones of Camp Cady.

Dedicated on 5 May
Historic Mojave River Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bell, May 5, 2013
2. Historic Mojave River Road Marker
2013
by the Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069
of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus

 
Erected 2013 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 145.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 34° 56.031′ N, 116° 38.719′ W. Marker is in Newberry Springs, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Harvard Road and Mannix Road, on the right when traveling south on Harvard Road. Click for map. Marker is located at the entrance to River Bluff Ranch. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37404 Harvard Road, Newberry Springs CA 92365, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Cady (1860-1871) (approx. 2.7 miles away); Newberry Springs (approx. 7.7 miles away); Bagdad Cafe (approx. 7.9 miles away); Forks of the Road (approx. 9.3 miles away); Mojave Road (approx. 12 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Historic California Posts: Camp Cady. The California State Military Museum (Submitted on May 8, 2014.) 
 
Categories. ExplorationNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Camp Cady Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bell, May 5, 2013
3. Camp Cady Cornerstone
Historic River Bluff Ranch Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bell, May 5, 2013
4. Historic River Bluff Ranch Entrance
Dedication Patch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 3, 2013
5. Dedication Patch
Mojave River Run
Spring Doin's 2013
ECV - Billy Holcomb 1069
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   5. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement