Near Courtland in Nicollet County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
On the Red River Oxcart Trail to Traverse des Sioux
1854–First white man to claim land–Bruce Pierce.
1855-56–Then; Christian, John & Andrew Anderson; Christian & Torger Peterson & the Jensens.
1862–The Applebaum home was the refuge for victims of the Sioux Uprising–5 died.
4 churches; Catholic, 1859, Norwegian Methodist 1860, Norwegian Lutheran 1868, & Zion Lutheran. 3 blacksmith Shops–Creamery 1905-1919.
1877–First township officers–J.H. Dorn, Andrew Jensen, Leonard Boor, Adam Epper & C. Peterson.
1879–Post office in store of Peterson & Jensen.
Erected 1976 by Nicollet County Bicentennial Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Spirit of 76, America's Bicentennial Celebration marker series.
Location. 44° 20.974′ N, 94° 18.402′ W. Marker is near Courtland, Minnesota, in Nicollet County. Marker is on Fort Road (County Highway 5) 0.3 miles east of 521st Avenue (County Highway 10), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at a highway turnout. Marker is in this post office area: New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Brighton United Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Courtland (approx. 5.9 miles away); New Sweden Creamery (approx. 7 miles away); Bernadotte Co-op Creamery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Bernadotte Lutheran Church Monument (approx. 7.3 miles away); Bernadotte Lutheran Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Evacuation of New Ulm (approx. 7.3 miles away); Gänseviertel (Goosetown) (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Courtland.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.