Williamstown in Wood County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Holding Firm for the Union
Part of a February 1861 letter from Arthur I. Boreman, later the first governor of West Virginia, likely expressed Hendersonís own feelings about the imminent division of the nation: “Why should we risk a new government in the south when we are already governed by the best constitution ever and God given freedoms which might disappear under a new government after secession?”
Located on the main road between Marietta, Ohio, and Parkersburg, West Virginia, Henderson Hall lay in the path of Union troops moving overland when the Ohio River was unsuitable for transportation. After arriving in Marietta by train, the men marching down the road to Parkersburg frequently camped hereto rest, drill, and conduct artillery
George Washington Henderson built Henderson Hall in two construction campaigns after his marriage in 1826 to Elizabeth Ann Tomlinson. The first section of the house, built about 1836, now appears as a rear addition to the grand Italianate-style mansion before you. Henderson hired architect and master builder John M. Slocomb of Marietta, Ohio, to design and construct this part of the dwelling between 1856 and 1859. An important and rare example of the style (the Greek Revival was more popular at the time), the house is as notable for its interior finishes as for its exterior. In addition, not only the Henderson furnishings but also the family papers have survived, including those of the statehood period. The mansion and its outbuildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Henderson Hall is open to the public.
(lower left) Henderson Hall ca. 1880 — Courtesy Henderson Hall Plantation
(upper right) George Washington Henderson — Courtesy Henderson Hall Plantation
Certification of Hendersonís election to Restored Government of Virginia General Assembly, October 29, 1861 — Courtesy Henderson Hall Plantation
Location. 39° 22.705′ N, 81° 28.857′ W. Marker is in Williamstown, West Virginia, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of River Road and Williams Highway (West Virginia Route 14), on the left when traveling south on River Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 517 River Road, Williamstown WV 26187, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Commandant Archbold Henderson (a few steps from this marker); Tomlinson Mansion (approx. 1.8 miles away); Williamstown (approx. 2.3 miles away); Celoron de Blainville (approx. 2.3 miles away in Ohio); Fort Harmar (approx. 2.5 miles away in Ohio); Site of the United States Fort Harmar (approx. 2.5 miles away in Ohio); Lewis and Clark Expedition / Letter to the President (approx. 2.5 miles away in Ohio); Pioneer Marietta (approx. 2.7 miles away in Ohio). Click for a list of all markers in Williamstown.
Also see . . . Henderson Hall Historic District. Wikipedia (Submitted on May 8, 2014.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.