Ropesville in Hockley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ropesville Resettlement Project
Initiated by a committee out of Lubbock (20 mi. NE), this project was located on land near the already established town of Ropesville. Federal money was used to construct homes, wells, and farm buildings. The first 33 families, chosen for their initiative and willingness to work, settled into their new homes in 1936. By the end of 1939, a total of 77 families were working and living in the project. A community manager, assisted by a home economist, provided guidance to participants in the Ropesville program.
The project ended officially in 1943, when the Ropesville Farms came under individual ownership. A community building, constructed for the people of the farms in 1939, was moved to this site in 1959.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4345.)
Location. 33° Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ropesville TX 79358, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Primrose School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ropesville Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Meadow United Methodist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); Meadow Depot (approx. 5.9 miles away); Brooks Blacksmith Shop (approx. 5.9 miles away); Route of Nolan Expedition (approx. 8.9 miles away); The Spade Ranch (approx. 12.7 miles away); Reese AFB Texas (approx. 14.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ropesville.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.