“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Slaton in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Slaton Harvey House

Slaton Harvey House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 28, 2014
1. Slaton Harvey House Marker
Inscription. The city of Slaton has historic ties to the railroad. For decades the site was ranchland until the Santa Fe Railway sought a location for a division point to service trains. The Santa Fe bought the land in April 1911, naming the townsite for rancher and banker O.L. Slaton. Passenger and freight service became central to the economy, and the company built a passenger depot and Harvey House the following year. Scottish immigrant Fred Harvey created the Harvey House chain in 1876, partnering with the Santa Fe Railway, which built the restaurants and provided space on their trains for food and supplies. Harvey provided the equipment, management and hospitality staff, including hostesses known as Harvey Girls.

The Slaton Harvey House served efficient but elegant meals to 42 passengers at a time around a horseshoe-shaped counter on the first floor, which also housed the kitchen, bakery, gift shop and managerís office. The manager and his family and the Harvey Girls roomed on the second floor. The Slaton Harvey House, a commercial and social center, operated for thirty years, briefly reopening to serve troops during World War II. The building remained a passenger depot until 1969; the railroad later converted it to a freight depot and operations center before vacating the property in the 1980s. Slaton citizens coordinated the preservation
Slaton Harvey House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 28, 2014
2. Slaton Harvey House Marker
and restoration of their landmark building.

The two-story Mission Revival Slaton Harvey House features one-foot thick concrete walls, an arcaded trackside pavilion with stepped parapet, overhanging eaves with brackets, divided light windows and a flat upper story parapet decorated with the Santa Fe Railway company symbol.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark – 2007

Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14011.)
Location. 33° 26.546′ N, 101° 38.317′ W. Marker is in Slaton, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and Texas Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Railroad Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Railroad Avenue, Slaton TX 79364, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slaton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Slaton Volunteer Fire Department (approx. half a mile away); Slaton Bakery (approx. half a mile away); Englewood Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mercy Hospital (approx. 1.2 miles away); Breedlove Airport
Slaton Harvey House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 28, 2014
3. Slaton Harvey House
(approx. 12.4 miles away); City of Lubbock Cemetery (approx. 13.3 miles away); Buddy Holly Historical Marker (approx. 13.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Slaton.
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement