Fort Sumner in De Baca County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Named for the fort built in 1862 to guard the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation, the town of Fort Sumner grew out of settlements clustering around the Maxwell family properties. It moved to its present site with the construction of the Belen Cutoff of the Santa Fe Railroad around 1907.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Location. 34° 28.308′ N, 104° 15.645′ W. Marker is in Fort Sumner, New Mexico, in De Baca County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 60 and New Mexico Route 20, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 60. Click for map. Marker is on the northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Sumner NM 88119, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Sumner (approx. 2.7 miles away); Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation (approx. 4 miles away); Old Fort Sumner and “Billy the Kid’s” Grave (approx. 6.1 miles away); Lucien Bonaparte Maxwell (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.