Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodstock in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shenandoah County Courthouse

 
 
Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
1. Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Shenandoah County's native limestone courthouse was built in 1795 with brick additions in 1871 and 1886. In 1927, portico and columns were added giving the Federal Styled building a Greek revival front. It is the oldest courthouse in continuous use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
 
Location. 38° 52.935′ N, 78° 30.314′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 11) and West Court Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is embedded in the brick walkway (Lawyer's Row) just north of the Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 North Main Street, Woodstock VA 22664, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shenandoah County Jail (here, next to this marker); This Building of (a few steps from this marker); John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg (within shouting distance of this marker); 1LT Charles Bare Gatewood (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mabel Lee Walton and Sigma Sigma Sigma (about 500 feet away); Woodstock (approx. 0.2
Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
2. Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker
miles away); a different marker also named Woodstock (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Woodstock (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Woodstock.
 
Also see . . .  Shenandoah County Courthouse. (PDF) National Register Nomination Form, 1973 (Submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Shenandoah County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
3. Shenandoah County Courthouse
Close-up of photo on marker
Shenandoah County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
4. Shenandoah County Courthouse
Courthouse Weathervane image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
5. Courthouse Weathervane
Courthouse Doorknob image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
6. Courthouse Doorknob
Shenandoah County Courthouse Significant Dates<br>(In the Courthouse Window) image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
7. Shenandoah County Courthouse Significant Dates
(In the Courthouse Window)
1752 - Jacob Miller receives grant from Lord Fairfax for the land that becomes Woodstock
1761 - George Washington introduces a bill passed by the Virginia legislature chartering the town of Woodstock.
1772 - Dunmore County formed from Frederick County.
1772 - First court held at Fadely home on Back Street (now Church Street). House no longer standing.
1774 - Jonathan Landon's log house moved to courthouse lot and used as county courthouse. Building no longer standing.
1777 - Dunmore County named Shenandoah County.
1795 - The court orders a new stone courthouse to be built - cornerstone laid.
1809 - Courthouse bell was added.
1862 - In late March Confederates from Chew's Battery used the courthouse for shelter going to Kernstown, Virginia. Stonewall Jackson is headquartered on Lawyer's Row on night during the retreat from Kernstown.
1871 - A brick addition containing a new courtroom is added to the stone courthouse.
1886 - A second brick addition is built to serve as the clerk of court's office
Late 19th Century - Some of the remaining chairs in the courthouse are from the Samuel Wagner shop in Maurertown, Virginia.
1927 - Portico and columns are added to the stone courthouse
1977 - New brick courthouse across Court Street opens
Prepared by John Adamson, Shenandoah County Historical Society, 2005
.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement