Manassas Park, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Headquarters and Refuge
In August 1862, the Conner House changed sides when Col. Lewis B. Pierce, 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry, used it for his headquarters and a hospital. On the night of August 26, Pierce lay ill here as Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s Confederate force approached from the southwest. Having captured Bristoe Station on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad line, Jackson ordered a rare night attack on the great Union supply depot at Manassas Junction. Gen. Isaac R. Trimble led the assault, brushing aside the Pennsylvanians when they opposed him in front
The Conner House was named for its last private owner, who operated a dairy farm in the first half of the 20th century. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 45.944′ N, 77° 26.713′ W. Marker is in Manassas Park, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Conner Drive east of Centreville Road (Virginia Route 28). Click for map. Park at New Dominion Alternative School parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8220 Conner Dr, Manassas VA 20111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Bull Run Bridge (here, next to this marker); Manassas 1825 (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Bull Run Bridge Mayfield Civil War Fort (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort (approx. 0.9 miles away).
Regarding Conner House. The Conner House is currently in the process of being restored and is not open to the general public.
Also see . . .
1. Conner House. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form (.pdf) (Submitted on March 14, 2010.)
2. Conner House. Pre-restoration photograph. (Submitted on March 14, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 2,906 times since then and 165 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on . 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 7. submitted on . 8. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.