Baker in Okaloosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Baker High School
The Town of Baker, a stop on the Florida, Alabama and Gulf Railroad, was platted in 1910 and grew up around the timber and turpentine industries. The site of the original Baker High School was owned by J.W. and Mollie McCart who sold the property to the Santa Rosa County Board of Public Instruction in 1914. Construction of the school, a two-story brick building with a basement, began in 1915, and opened for classes in January 1916. The school was heated by a wood stove, and students drank from an outdoor, hand-pumped well. The school was known as the Baker School, and operated as an elementary and junior high school until 1923, when a growing population that it admit high school students. It was renamed the Baker High School that year and became the first accredited high school in Okaloosa County. In 1924, Baker High School graduated its first class with three students. In 1927, a new high school was completed across Jefferson Street in front of the old Baker High School. That building burned in 1953. The school's gymnasium was built in 1958. New classrooms and a football stadium were added in 1970. The original Baker High School was renovated in 1957 and demolished in 1973.
A Florida Heritage Site
Erected 2013 by the Baker High Alumni and the Florida Department
Location. 30° 47.591′ N, 86° 40.772′ W. Marker is in Baker, Florida, in Okaloosa County. Marker is on 14th Street 0.1 miles east of Madison Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1369 14th Street, Baker FL 32531, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Bethel Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Concord Lodge No. 50 F & AM (approx. 6.7 miles away); Okaloosa County (approx. 6.7 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Okaloosa County (approx. 6.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Okaloosa County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away); Crestview Lodge #364 F&AM PHA (approx. 7 miles away); Carver-Hill H.S. (approx. 7.1 miles away); Confederate Park (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Crestview Bulletin newspaper article about marker. (Submitted on May 25, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Baker High School website. (Submitted on May 25, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 24, 2016.