“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Clifton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Ivakota Farm

Ivakota Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 27, 2008
1. Ivakota Farm Marker
Inscription. On this land stood Ivakota Farm, founded as a Progressive Era reform school and home for unwed mothers and their children. In 1915 Ella Shaw donated her 264-acre farm to the National Florence Crittenton Mission (NFCM). Named for the states where she had lived—Iowa, Virginia and North Dakota—Ivakota provided a rural setting for inspirational, physical, domestic and religious education primarily for delinquent girls. Social reformer and NFCM president Dr. Kate Waller Barrett oversaw the program until her death in 1925. Ivakota included a school, nursery, health clinic, dormitories, a commercial farm and a cemetery. After leasing to charitable organizations NFCM sold the land in 1962.
Erected 2007 by The Fairfax County History Commission. Dedicated on May 13th.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission marker series.
Location. 38° 47.63′ N, 77° 24.277′ W. Marker is near Clifton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Balmoral Forest Road and Compton Road (County Route 659), on the right when traveling south on Balmoral Forest Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clifton VA 20124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Ivakota Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 27, 2008
2. Ivakota Farm Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Mills Historic Site (approx. 1.3 miles away); Devereux Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Devereux Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Dominion Stone Company Millstone (approx. 2 miles away); Wilmer McLean after the Civil War (approx. 2.3 miles away); McLean Farm (Yorkshire Plantation) (approx. 2.3 miles away); Wilmer McLean’s Yorkshire (approx. 2.3 miles away); Blackburn’s Ford (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clifton.
Also see . . .  Growing Success at Ivakota Farm—Troubled Young Women get a Helping Hand to Gain a Leg Up. 2007 article by Sharon Cavileer in the South County Chronicle. “The story began simply enough with a late-night knock on one door and a plea for help. Dr. Kate Waller Barrett, the wife of an Episcopal minister in Atlanta, was so moved by a late-night visit of an unwed mother that she dedicated her life to ‘wipe out some of the inequities that were meted out to my sisters who were so helpless to help themselves’.” (Submitted on April 27, 2008.) 
Categories. Charity & Public Work
Ivakota Farm cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 27, 2009
3. Ivakota Farm cemetery
No traditional headstone or gravestones were visible through the undergrowth. While there are a few stray rocks, it is unclear whether they were placed there to mark graves or are just random stones.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,847 times since then and 144 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement