Poway in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Community Church of Poway
United Church of Christ
Erected 1976 by San Diego Parlor No. 200 and ILLA Knox Parlor No. 320, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 32° 57.673′ N, 117° 2.399′ W. Marker is in Poway, California, in San Diego County. Marker can be reached from Community Road north of Hilleary Place, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13501 Community Road, Poway CA 92064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Community Church of Poway (here, next to this marker); Flint Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); Templars Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nelson House (approx. 0.7 miles away); City of Poway Veterans Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Porter House Baldwin Locomotive No. 3 (approx. 0.7 miles away); DJ Ranch Formerly: Kent Farm (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Poway.
1. Community Church of Poway
Community Church, originally a Methodist-Episcopal congregation, was established in July, 1879 by the Rev. Mr. Hough of Los Angeles. The first worshipers met in the local school house. In 1883, Joseph and Amanda Stone and another couple donated the land for the present building. Church members and friends provided most of the materials and labor, and Samuel Bowron acted as construction superintendent. The redwood structure, a New England style church, was completed in 1887. In 1893, the church became the Congregational Church of Poway. In the late 1920s, the name was changed to Community Church of Poway. The Native Daughters of the Golden West designated the sanctuary as a historical site on Sept. 26, 1976, recognizing the 120-year old chapel as the oldest wooden structure in continuous use as a church in San Diego County.
Source: "Old Poway Historical Sites: The Historical Marker Project" published by the City of Poway Community Services Department.
— Submitted June 8, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. 3. submitted on , by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.