Near Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Trans-Peninsular Line Midpoint Marker
Originally determined by local surveyors (two small stones) circa 1750.
Verified by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon (Large Marker) circa 1764.
Location. 38° 27.604′ N, 75° 41.62′ W. Marker is near Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Delmar Road (Maryland Route 54) west of the state line with Delaware. Click for map. Maryland Route 54 continues as Delaware Route 54 a few hundred feet east of this location. Marker is between Delmar, Delaware, and Mardela Springs, Maryland. Marker is in this post office area: Delmar MD 21875, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "Old Spring Hill" St. Paul's Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Four Immortal Chaplains (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mason-Dixon Stone (approx. 3.2 miles away); Native Americans (approx. 3.2 miles away); Young's Purchase Home (approx. 3.3 miles away); San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center San Domingo School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mount Pleasant Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away in Delaware). Click for a list of all markers in Mardela Springs.
More about this marker. There is a nice little roadside pullout parking area for this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry for Transpeninsular Line. “In 1751, a line was surveyed straight across the Delmarva Peninsula beginning at what at least some early Swedish settlers called Cape Hinlopen, which was to be the southern boundary of Delaware. This place is better known as Fenwick Island. Twenty-four miles north is another cape named Cape Henlopen near Lewes, Delaware. Various spellings of henlopen mean "entering in" or "approaching." The confusion of the names was the crux of a long standing dispute between the Penns (Delaware) and the Calverts (Maryland), the latter claiming that the Lewes' cape should have been the start of the boundary line. Ironically, it was a map commissioned by Charles Calvert in 1732, which showed Cape Hinlopen at Fenwick Island, that was used to decide the matter. Calvert had intended the Lewes' cape to be so named, (Submitted on June 1, 2014.)
2. Wikipedia Entry for Mason-Dixon Line. “The disputants engaged an expert British team, astronomer Charles Mason and surveyor Jeremiah Dixon, to survey what became known as the Mason–Dixon line. It cost the Calverts of Maryland and the Penns of Pennsylvania £3,512/9 s to have 244 miles (393 km) surveyed with such accuracy. To them the money was well spent, for in a new country there was no other way of establishing ownership.” (Submitted on June 1, 2014.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 161 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.