Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
L'Overture Hospital HQ
February 15, 1864
Civil War confiscation of property occurred on January 11,1864 when William Fowle, a large land owner, failed to pay the real estate taxes in person. He feared imprisonment for supporting the Confederate cause.
Private John Cooley, a soldier of the 27th U.S. Colored Infantry (Ohio) was the first black soldier to die in Alexandria, "… died upon entering L'Overture Hospital on May 4, 1864."
On May 17, 1864, Dr, William C. Minor, Surgeon Captain, began working a L'Overture Hospital. Later he murdered an individual in England's seedy side. On April 6th 1872, Dr. Minor was found not guilty of murder being a “certified lunatic.” He was, however, held in permanent custody. While in custody Dr. Minor became
On Dec 27, 1864, Surgeon Bentley received a petition signed by 443 L'Overture patients requesting "…the same privileges and rights of burial in every way with our fellow soldiers who differ only in color…" Consequently soldiers where interred in the Alexandria National Cemetery (previously interred in the Freedman's Cemetery).
Nurse Julia Wilbur, who took supplies to Alexandria's Hospital, was instrumental in changing the hospital's conditions after meeting with Surgeon Bentley in L'Overture Hospital.
Former Slaves founded Shiloh Baptist Church in the Hospital's mess hall.
On September 27, 1894, Samuel Reed, builder of #217, was "…found dead at an early hour this morning in a coal yard near the north end of the Long Bridge…close to his fish wharf…two bullet wounds…right cheek…stomach…no pistol was found…it is supposed he committed suicide." (Alexandria Gazette)
Owners of the land include: King Charles II of England (1669), The Fairfax Family, The Alexander Family, Francis Peyton, John Dundas, James Hallowell, William Fowle and Samuel Reed.
This unusual 2 bay Greek Revival style was a twin with #219.
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 South Payne Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Franklin and Armfield Slave Office (within shouting distance of this marker); 1323 Duke Street – From Slavery to Freedom and Service (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shiloh Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Capt. James McGuire House (about 500 feet away); James Harris House (about 500 feet away); Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Duke Street Tanyard (approx. 0.2 miles away); The West End (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . L'Ouverture Hospital and Barracks Marker, E-134. DHR Historical Marker approved in 2012 but not yet erected. "Named for Haitian revolutionary, L'Ouverture Hospital opened in February 1864 near the Freedman's barracks in Alexandria to serve sick and injured United (Submitted on March 16, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 719 times since then and 135 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.