“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Burleson County

Burleson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, June 8, 2014
1. Burleson County Marker
Inscription. In rich Brazos River basin; had settlers early as 1825. Site in 1830 of Tenoxtitlan, one of 3 forts built by Mexico in Texas, situated above El Camino Real (The King's Highway) crossing on Brazos River. North of the road was Sterling Robertson's Colony; south, the colony of Stephen F. Austin.

In 1840 on the Old Road, Civil Engineer George B. Erath (1813-1891) platted town of Caldwell, named for noted Indian fighter Mathew ("Old Paint") Caldwell. In 1846, Erath introduced in First Legislature of State of Texas a bill creating Burleson County out of land then in Milam and Washington counties. It was named for Gen. Edward Burleson (1793-1851), under whom many local men had fought in the Texas War for Independence and in Indian Wars. Gen. Burleson was a congressman, senator and vice president of the Republic of Texas; also was in first State Senate.

Plantation system prevailed until Civil War (1861-1865). Burleson lost some area when Lee County was created in 1874. In 1880 the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway built into county; soon afterward, Houston & Texas Central added more rail mileage.

This is fourth courthouse for county. Economy is based on farming, oil, and miscellaneous products.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Comittee. (Marker Number 7554.)
Burleson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, June 8, 2014
2. Burleson County Courthouse

Location. 30° 31.917′ N, 96° 41.582′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is on West Buck Street south of South Main Street (Texas Route 83), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Mitchell (here, next to this marker); City of Caldwell (a few steps from this marker); Burleson County in World War II (a few steps from this marker); Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moseley's Ferry (approx. 10.9 miles away); Route of El Camino Real (approx. 13.6 miles away); Site of the Somerville Harvey House (approx. 16.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Caldwell.
Also see . . .  Burleson County Website. (Submitted on June 11, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement