Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Caldwell
George B. Erath platted the town of Caldwell in 1840. Streets running parallel to the Old San Antonio road were named for native animals and intersecting streets were named for the commissioners who had selected the townsite. When Burleson County was created six years later, Caldwell became the permanent seat of government.
Incorporated in 1891, Caldwell developed as a major agricultural shipping center with the completion of area rail lines in 1890 and 1912. Since the 1840s the city has played a vital role in the region through its steady commercial growth and rich heritage. (1892)
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7556.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burleson County in World War II (here, next to this marker); Burleson County (a few steps from this marker); John Mitchell (a few steps from this marker); Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moseley's Ferry (approx. 10.9 miles away); Route of El Camino Real (approx. 13.7 miles away); Site of the Somerville Harvey House (approx. 16.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Caldwell.
Also see . . . City of Caldwell Website. (Submitted on June 11, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.