Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Courtland in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Facilities/Deactivation

 
 
Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Facilities Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, June 14, 2014
1. Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Facilities Marker
Inscription. (side 1)
Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Facilities

At its greatest strength, CAAF was home to 4600 officers, enlisted servicemen, and cadets. During the war years it was the largest population center within Lawrence County. Over 370 structures were constructed, including aircraft hangars, operations buildings, warehouses, barracks, mess halls, maintenance facilities, water supply/sewage treatment facilities, a weather station, and a hospital. To help accommodate the sudden influx of personnel during construction and following activation, locals opened their homes to servicemen and their wives. Electricity was supplied by TVA, and a railroad spur was constructed to accept delivery of materials and fuel. A small arms range and a chemical/gas chamber were onsite to support training requirements. Other facilities that provided day-to-day needs and recreation included a PX, officers/enlisted clubs, a chapel, and two theaters. An Army band posted at the base also toured local communities to boost morale and support War Bond drives. As schedules allowed, servicemen took advantage of leisure opportunities on the nearby Tennessee River.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Deactivation
(Continued from other side)
Demand
Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Deactivation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, June 14, 2014
2. Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Deactivation Marker
for pilot training fell during 1943-44, and many airfields were gradually deactivated nationwide. As an emergency temporary construction, CAAF was also slated for closure, and was officially deactivated on 30 June 1945. Over the next three decades, most of the buildings were removed or destroyed. By request of the Ala Air National Guard, a steel-framed hangar was moved to the Birmingham Municipal Airport around 1950. Until the mid-1980s the CAAF property was used as a poultry farm, an auto race course, an auction facility, and a home for crop duster aircraft. Proposed uses included a horse race track, a coal gasification plant, and a prison, but none of those materialized. Lawrence County acquired the land in 1985 for use as an industrial park and a public airport was activated using two of the original runways. The 1990s saw a rebirth of the site with the advent of several light industrial businesses and a Lockheed-Martin missile assembly plant. US Army aviation returned to the site when the Redstone Test Center began using the property for helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft testing in 2010.
 
Erected 2011 by Sponcered by the Courtland Historical Association, Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 34° 40.1′ N, 87° 20.125′ W. Marker is in Courtland,
Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Facilities/Deactivation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, June 14, 2014
3. Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Facilities/Deactivation Marker
Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Sanderson Lane and WC Handy Avenue, in the median on Sanderson Lane. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Courtland AL 35618, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courtland Army Air Field (CAAF): Beginnings/Flight Schools (a few steps from this marker); Harris-Simpson Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); A Cotton Kingdom (approx. 1.4 miles away); The African ~ American Experience (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster (approx. 1.4 miles away); American Legion - Post 58 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Courtland's Early Architecture (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Courtland.
 
Categories. Air & SpaceIndustry & CommerceWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement