Near Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Steamboat Washington Landed Here
In the winter of 1850-1851 with Captain Basil M. Hatfield, commander, the Steamboat Washington landed here with a shipment of merchandise from Washington-on-the-Brazos to J. W. McCown and Co., merchants at Cameron. The first, last and only steamboat to navigate Little River.
Erected 1936. (Marker Number 8004.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 50.069′ N, 96° 56.73′ W. Marker is near Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on U.S. 77/190 0.3 miles north of County Highway 2095, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cameron TX 76520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milam County Jail of 1895 (approx. 2.1 miles away); First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas (approx. 2.1 miles away); La Recluta and La Escuelita (approx. 11.5 miles away); Matinee Musical Club (approx. 12.6 miles away); The Kay Theater (approx. 12.7 miles away); Railroads in Rockdale International & Great Northern Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. 12.9 miles away); Jewish Cemetery (approx. 13 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cameron.
More about this marker. These style markers were placed in 1936 as part of the centennial celebration of Texas independence from Mexico
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.