“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Cary Hall

Built 1940


A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935)

Cary Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
1. Cary Hall Marker
(Side 1)
Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary Medicine in the South. In 1896, he helped to establish the first meat and milk inspection system in the United States. Named the first Alabama State Veterinarian in 1905, Dr. Cary became the dean of the newly formed College of Veterinary Medicine at Auburn (API) in 1907, the first in the South. Innovative campaigns to eradicate bovine tuberculosis and Texas tick fever were just a few of Dr. Cary's accomplishments, as well as work with brucellosis. He was President of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Executive Secretary of the Alabama Veterinary Medical Association, Alabama Livestock Association and United States Livestock Sanitary Association.
(Continued on other side)
(Side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Dr. Cary's practical teaching methods included performing animal surgery under a campus shade oak to instruct his students. His Saturday clinics and summer institutes taught farmers about the prevention and treatment of animal diseases. When he was nominated to the Alabama Hall of Fame in 1957, it
Cary Hall Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
2. Cary Hall Marker (reverse)
was stated Dr. Cary did more for Alabama livestock production and for the protection of the purity of food products than any other man of his time. Built as a memorial to Dr. Cary in 1940, Cary Hall denotes classical revival architecture with symmetrical design indicative of academic and governmental buildings of the era. Four Tuscan style columns highlight the stair portal. The recessed door consists of an Ovum trim with Scotia stone accents at the top. Stone Quoins are at the vertical recessed steps of the building.
Erected 2007 by the Auburn Heritage Association and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission with support from the College of Veterinary Medicine Centennial Club and the Alabama Veterinary Medical Association.
Location. 32° 36.249′ N, 85° 29.389′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is on West Thach Concourse 0.1 miles west of Miller Drive, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 422 West Thach Concourse, Auburn University AL 36849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Max Adams Morris / Max Adams Morris Drill Field (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sigma Alpha Epsilon (approx. mile away); Auburn University
Cary Hall at Auburn University image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
3. Cary Hall at Auburn University
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Desegregation at Auburn (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Lathe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Auburn University Chapel (approx. half a mile away); Auburn - Alabama (approx. half a mile away); Toomers Corner And The Bank Of Auburn (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Auburn.
Also see . . .  More about the architecture.. (Submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. EducationScience & Medicine
Cary Hall Sign image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
4. Cary Hall Sign
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement