Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Dillard-Lawson House

 
 
Dillard-Lawson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
1. Dillard-Lawson House Marker
Inscription. Built by Auburn merchant A.L. Dillard in 1894, the home was once part of the old Scott Plantation. It was one of the first homes in Auburn to have an indoor bath and electricity. An unusual feature of the house is the gray stone, for which Dillard invented a secret formula to make it moisture proof. Mrs. Dillard and her daughter were the first registered women voters in Lee County. In 1925, Sigma Pi Fraternity was chartered here. The James L. Lawson family owned the house from 1939-1984. It was home to Mabel Yearby, the first woman defense lawyer in Alabama. In 1984 the house was sold to business interests.
 
Erected 2000 by the Auburn Heritage Association and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
 
Location. 32° 36.39′ N, 85° 28.42′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of East Magnolia Avenue and South Debardeleben Street, on the right when traveling east on East Magnolia Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 434 East Magnolia Avenue, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scott-Yarbrough House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Baughman-Honour-Stiles House
Dillard-Lawson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
2. Dillard-Lawson House Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Wilton Burton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wittel Dormitory (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing); City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Auburn.
 
Also see . . .  The Greystone Mansion. (Submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Dillard-Lawson House image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
3. Dillard-Lawson House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement