Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis

 
 
The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
1. The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis Marker
Inscription. At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised of cadets of the East Alabama Male College (now Auburn University). Forty-two members of the Guards went by rail from Montgomery to Pensacola on January 16, 1861, under orders from Alabama Governor Moore, to fortify the fort there. The officers of the Auburn Guards were as follows: George W. Dixon, Captain; Wm. F. Stanton, 1st Lieutenant; F. G. McElhany, 2nd Lieutenant; J. H. Echols, 3rd Lieutenant.
 
Erected 2011 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Auburn Heritage Association, SCV Robert E. Lee Camp No. 16, and Auburn Guards Chapter No. 2677.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
 
Location. 32° 36.631′ N, 85° 28.831′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Mitcham Avenue and North Gay Street, on the right when traveling west on Mitcham Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 North Gay Street, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Old Depot burned (New depot in background) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
2. Old Depot burned (New depot in background)
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Crescent (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (approx. mile away); Toomers Corner And The Bank Of Auburn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Auburn - Alabama (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert Wilton Burton (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lathe (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Auburn.
 
Categories. EducationRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 15, 2014
3. Marker Area
The Auburn Depot (1904) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 30, 2016
4. The Auburn Depot (1904)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 2, 2016.
Paid Advertisement