The Round Schoolhouse
Designed - 1821 - by Dr. John "Thunderbolt" Wilson.
Built in 1822 on this site deeded to the Town of Brookline by Peter Benson, for the sum of $5.00. Dr. Wilson, a former Scottish highwayman, taught the first term of 60 pupils who sat on benches.
The interior was completely renovated in 1910 and on March 5 1929 the building was turned over to the Town of Brookline for use as the town hall.
This building is thought to be the only round schoolhouse ever constructed in this country.
Location. 43° 1.281′ N, 72° 36.25′ W. Marker is in Brookline, Vermont, in Windham County. Marker is on Grassy Brook Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The Round Schoolhouse is located across the street from the Municipal Offices of Brookline which are located at 734 Grassy Brook Road. Marker is in this post office area: Newfane VT 05345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newfane World War II Monument (approx. 3.5 miles away); In Memory of Jonathan Park (approx. 3.6 miles away); Newfane Honor Roll (approx. 3.6 miles away); Newfane Civil War Monument (approx. 3.6 miles
Also see . . . Recalling the Adventures of Captain Thunderbolt - Culturelocker. (Submitted on June 13, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Additional keywords. Brookline Historical Association;Michael Martin;Lightfoot
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.