Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maitland in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland

1838

 

—Directly east of this highway —

 
Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Julie Szabo, April 2, 2008
1. Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland Marker
Inscription.
Fort Maitland
was built in November 1838 by Lt. Col. Alexander C. W. Fanning, U.S.A. (1788-1848) on the military road connecting Fort Melon (Sanford) with Fort Gatlin (Orlando) and used as a stockade in the war between the United States and the Seminole Indians. The fort was named in honor of William Seton Maitland (1798-1837), a native of New York, a graduate of West Point whom President Andrew Jackson commissioned Brevet Captain for gallantry and good conduct at Withlacoochee 31 December 1835 and Welika 19 July 1836. He was severely wounded at Wahoo Swamp 21 November 1836 and was drowned in the Ashley River, S.C. The boundaries of this fort were definitely marked as late as 1872 when this settlement was officially designated
Maitland
The beautiful body of water nearby which the Seminoles called Fumecheliga (Muskmelon Place) also honors the memory of Captain Maitland in its name
Lake Maitland
Site presented by Edward R. Hall, marked by the Orlando Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, residents of Maitland and representatives of Rollins College 14 March 1935.
 
Erected 1935 by Orlando Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This
Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Julie Szabo, April 2, 2008
2. Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland Marker
marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 28° 37.228′ N, 81° 21.889′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Orlando Avenue (U.S. 17 & 92) and Lake Lily Drive, on the right when traveling north on S. Orlando Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maitland FL 32751, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Black Bear Trail (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carpentry Shop Museum (about 600 feet away); William H. Waterhouse Residence (about 600 feet away); Railroading in Maitland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lake Lily Drive (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Moseley House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Maitland.
 
Also see . . .
1. A brief history of Maitland. (Submitted on April 29, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida.)
2. The Seminole Indian Wars. (Submitted on April 29, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNatural FeaturesNotable PersonsWars, US Indian
 
Fort Maitland Park image. Click for full size.
By Julie Szabo, April 2, 2008
3. Fort Maitland Park
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 3,777 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement