Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Monongalia County Courthouse

 
 
Monongalia County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2014
1. Monongalia County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Monongolia County was established in 1776 from the Virginia District of West Augusta and named for the Monongahela River. When the Mason Dixon line was formally recognized in 1783, officials determined that the first meeting place of the county court (now the county commission) was actually in Pennsylvania, so the court met at the home of Zackquill Morgan until a new courthouse was erected. The second courthouse was finished 1784 at a cost of $250. After its demolition, a third building was constructed in 1802, and a fourth in 1848 at a cost of $6.500. The fifth and current courthouse was built in 1891 at a cost of $43,478, and the annex was completed in 1976 for an additional $1.5 million. The courthouse was designed by architect James Baily of Pittsburgh in the Romanesque Revival Style.
 
Erected by Frontiers to Mountaineers - Heritage Tourism.
 
Location. 39° 37.781′ N, 79° 57.387′ W. Marker is in Morgantown, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker is on High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morgantown WV 26505, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Stone House (within shouting distance of
Monongalia County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2014
2. Monongalia County Courthouse Marker
this marker); Monongalia Arts Center (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Pottery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Iron Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morgantown (approx. 0.2 miles away); VFW Post 548 Veterans Memorials (approx. mile away); Monongalia County War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Seneca Glass Company (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Morgantown.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry. “In 1884 the courthouse was declared dangerous. The County Court began making plans for a new building and in 1887 James P Bailey, an architect from Pittsburgh, Pa, was hired for $25 to design a new courthouse. There was much opposition from the townspeople which resulted in two failed proposed bond issues for a new courthouse. On September 13, 1890, county officials removed the records from the courthouse at midnight and began demolition on the building. The townspeople sought a couth injunction to stop further work but the court officials had all left town and no local lawyer
Monongalia County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2014
3. Monongalia County Courthouse Marker
Marker can be seen to the right of the flag pole.
would represent them.” (Submitted on June 20, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement