Conneaut Lake in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1892 the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad built tracks along the canal's abandoned towpath to provide service to Conneaut Lake Park. Thousands of visitors and vacationers came by excursion trains. As many as eight sidings were required to accommodate the trains at the park. The B&LE RR once owned the park and was a prime factor in its promotion and growth. Better roads and the increased use of automobiles and trucks led to the decline of rail service. The last train went through Conneaut Lake in 1969.
Location. 41° 36.205′ N, 80° 18.019′ W. Marker is in Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker can be reached from Grand Army of the Republic Click for map. Located in Ice House Park in Conneaut Lake Borough. Marker is in this post office area: Conneaut Lake PA 16316, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ice Industry and the Ice Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Geology (within shouting distance of this marker); Conneaut Reservoir (approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing); Erie Extension Canal (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different marker also named Erie Extension Canal (approx. 5.1 miles away); French Creek Feeder (approx. 6.8 miles away); Meadville (approx. 7.7 miles away); Desegregation of Pennsylvania Schools (approx. 7.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Conneaut Lake.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.