“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

West Virginia University

West Virginia University Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 19, 2014
1. West Virginia University Marker
Inscription. Founded by the Legislature on February 7, 1867 as the Agricultural College of West Virginia under terms of the Federal Land-Grant Act of 1862. On December 4, 1868, the name was changed to West Virginia University.
Erected 1964 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Location. 39° 38.837′ N, 79° 58.665′ W. Marker is in Morgantown, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker is at the intersection of Monongahela Boulevard (West Virginia Route 19) and Patterson Drive (West Virginia Route 705), on the right when traveling south on Monongahela Boulevard. Click for map. It is at just before the visitor’s parking lot for the Core Arboretum, which can only be reached when traveling southbound on US 19. Marker is in this post office area: Morgantown WV 26505, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Core Arboretum (within shouting distance of this marker); Seneca Glass Company (approx. 0.9 miles away); 201st Infantry/ Field Artillery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Iron Works (approx. 1.5 miles away); First Pottery (approx. 1.5 miles away); Morgantown
West Virginia University Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 19, 2014
2. West Virginia University Marker
(approx. 1.5 miles away); Old Stone House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Monongalia County Courthouse (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Morgantown.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry for WVU History. “The first campus building was constructed in 1870 as University Hall, and was renamed Martin Hall in 1889 in honor of West Virginia University’s first president, the Rev. Alexander Martin of Scotland. After the Woodburn Seminary building was destroyed by fire in 1873, the centerpiece of what is now Woodburn Hall was completed in 1876, under the name New Hall. The name was changed to University Building in 1878, when the College of Law was founded as the first professional school in the state of West Virginia. The precursor to Woodburn Circle was finished in 1893 when Chitwood Hall (then Science Hall) was constructed on the bluff’s north side. Around the start of the 20th century, a north wing was added to University Building, and the facility was renamed Woodburn Hall. Throughout the next decade, Woodburn Hall underwent several renovations and additions, including the construction of the south wing and east tower housing the iconic Seth Thomas clock.” (Submitted on June 20, 2014.) 

2. Wikipedia Entry for Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit. “Although the system’s construction ran far over budget, it still proved to be what its designers had claimed: a reliable system of automated transit that was inexpensive to operate. It has offered on-time service rates far better than the bus services it replaced, and eliminated the gridlock that had locked up the city center. Moreover, no injuries have been reported since operation began. From July 2005 to June 2006, about 2.25 million rides were taken on the PRT. As of November 2007, the PRT transports about 16,000 riders per day.” (Submitted on June 20, 2014.) 
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the University including buildings and Personal Rapid Transit • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement