Utica in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Former location of a 262 foot, two span pratt through truss bridge constructed in 1866 by the Smith Bridge Company of Toledo, Ohio. The structure was a good example of late nineteenth century bridge technology, including pinned truss connections and stone abutments. The bridge was built in response to a period of rapid growth in Utica Borough due to the discovery of oil and gas resources in the surrounding area. The bridge was determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. A plaque formerly located on the end portal is incorporated into the design of the present bridge.
Former location of:
• Two span pratt through truss bridge
• Built in 1866
• Constructed by the Smith Bridge Company of Toledo, Ohio
Replaced in 2001
Erected by Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
Location. 41° 26.254′ N, 79° 57.338′ W. Marker is in Utica, Pennsylvania, in Venango County. Marker is on 3rd Street 0.1 miles north of Water Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Utica PA 16362, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this Fort Franklin (approx. 6.9 miles away); Johnny Appleseed (approx. 6.9 miles away); Major General Jesse L. Reno (approx. 7 miles away); Franklin (approx. 7.1 miles away); Samuel C.T. Dodd (approx. 7.1 miles away); Venango County (approx. 7.2 miles away); Galena-Signal Oil Company (approx. 7.2 miles away); George Bissell (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.