“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dyersburg in Dyer County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Dyer County in the War

A Scoured Countryside

Dyer County in the War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
1. Dyer County in the War Marker
Inscription. At least fifteen Confederate companies were formed in Dyer County, including Capt. Otho F. Strahlís Co. K, 4th Tennessee Infantry, and Capt. Tyree H. Bellís Co. B, 12th Tennessee Infantry. Both men rose to the rank of brigadier general. Strahl was one of six Confederate generals to die at the Battle of Franklin in 1864. He is buried in Dyersburgís Old City Cemetery on East Court Street. Bell served under Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest and participated in the postwar Dyer County Aid Society to help former soldiers and their families.

No major engagements took place in Dyer County, but foragers from both sides scoured the countryside here and in adjacent Gibson County. Confederate cavalry Col. William H. Jackson in 1862 described the area as “the richest portion of the State of Tennessee” with an “abundant supply of bacon, corn, and hay.” After a surprise attack on one of Jacksonís companies in August 1862, Union Gen. Grenville M. Dodge freed two slaves who had provided information.

Sharing borders with Kentucky, Missouri and Arkansas, Dyer County harbored several Confederate guerrilla bands. From his headquarters in Trenton, Dodge requested additional cavalry to fight them. By the end of the 1863, the pro-Union Memphis Bulletin reported that guerrilla activity had decreased.

Dyer County in the War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
2. Dyer County in the War Marker
confederate soldier, apparently acting alone, burned the courthouse in 1864. Rebuilt in 1867, it was replaced by the present Classical Revival building in 1911. Local resident Jane Skeffington unveiled the granite Confederate monument on the anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh in 1905.

(upper left) Gen. Otho P. Stahl Tennessee Civil War National Heritage Area
(lower left) Gen. Grenville M. Dodge - Courtesy Library of Congress
(upper center) Foraging for hay - Courtesy Library of Congress
(upper right) Foragers on the prowl - Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 1.957′ N, 89° 23.155′ W. Marker is in Dyersburg, Tennessee, in Dyer County. Marker is at the intersection of West Court Street and South Main Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Court Street. Click for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Dyer County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Dyersburg TN 38024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Otho French Strahl (approx.
Confederate Monument image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
3. Confederate Monument
half a mile away); Mrs. Rosa M. Parks (approx. 1.9 miles away); William Nash (approx. 6 miles away); Dyer County / Lauderdale County (approx. 6 miles away); Key Corner (approx. 8.2 miles away); Dyersburg Army Airfield (approx. 9.2 miles away); Parks Cemetery Ridge Memorial Plaza (approx. 15.5 miles away).
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement