Near Lewistown in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Seneca Council House / Indian Reservation
—the Seneca half of the Shawnee Reservation at Lewistown —
Seneca Council House
Near this spot on the east bank of Muchinnippi Creek, stood a council house of the Seneca, 20 x 40 feet, without windows, floor or chimney. Later it became the Reservation Council House.
This reservation of 40,300 acres, was set aside for the Indians by the U. S. Government. Following a treaty with the Indians in 1817, Seneca and Shawnee tribesmen occupied the land until they were moved west in 1832.
Erected 1951 by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 27.146′ N, 83° 56.529′ W. Marker is near Lewistown, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on Muchinippi Trail (County Route 54) ¾ mile north of Ohio Route 274, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. marker is on the old trail from Lewistown to Wapakoneta. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12728 C R 54, Lewistown OH 43333, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lakeview Amvets Memorial #1 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lakeview Amvets Memorial #2 (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lakeview War Memorial #3 (approx. 2.4 miles away); Sandy Beach Amusement Park Indian Lake Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); St. Mary of the Woods Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Our Lady of Fatima Statue Park (approx. 3 miles away); Council House (approx. 3.8 miles away but has been reported missing).
More about this marker. marker is located in a well maintained green space, between a farmhouse and barn
Regarding Seneca Council House / Indian Reservation. Part of the text of the treaty that dissolved the reservation;
Treaty With the Senecas
July 20, 1831
The Seneca and Shawnee Indians, residing at and around Lewistown in the State of Ohio, in consideration of the stipulations herein made on the part of the United States, do for ever cede, release and quit claim to the United States, the lands granted to them by patent in fee simple by the sixth article of the treaty made at the foot of the rapids of the Miami river of Lake Erie, on the twenty-ninth day of September, in the year 1817, containing forty-eight square miles, and described in said treaty as follows:—“Beginning at the intersection of the line run by Charles Roberts
Additional keywords. Lewistown Reservation Treaty of St. Mary's 1817
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.