Highgate Center in Franklin County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Here in 1786 John Saxe, (Johannes Sachse) a Loyalist from Rhinebeck, N.Y, built the area's first gristmill. His sons added a sawmill, potashery, general store, post office, and tavern. They incorporated the town of Highgate in this house in 1805, and served in numerous offices; Matthew as Highgate's first elected Town Clerk, Conrad as Captain of the militia during the War of 1812, and Peter as member of the Vermont General Assembly and Franklin County Judge. Peter's son, John Godfrey Saxe, born here in 1816, ran twice for Governor but is best remembered for his poetry.
Erected 2006 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 59.65′ N, 73° 3.99′ W. Marker is in Highgate Center, Vermont, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Armand Road and Ballard Road, on the left when traveling east on St. Armand Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highgate Center VT 05459, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 19 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Missisquoi Village and Mission (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Bohannon Site (approx. 8 miles away); Battle of Eccles Hill Fenian Raids (approx. 13.7 kilometers away); Colonel Elisha Sheldon (approx. 15.5 kilometers away); Sheldon, Vermont (approx. 15.9 kilometers away); In honour of Capt. Caleb Tree (approx. 18 kilometers away in Canada); Camp Holbrook (approx. 18.3 kilometers away).
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.