Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Panguitch in Garfield County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Panguitch Tithing Lot

 
 
Panguitch Tithing Lot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 12, 2014
1. Panguitch Tithing Lot Marker
Inscription. During the first settlement of Panguitch, between 1864 and 1867, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints paid tithes with produce and cattle, which were kept on this lot and disbursed as needed. Barns and corrals were constructed on the northeast section. One granary was built in the middle of the lot; another on the south side of the lot, with a wooden step loading dock.
On the northwest corner of the lot the Tithing Office was built of hewn logs covered with shiplap painted gray. The building served as a school classroom and priesthood meeting room. It also served as the first courthouse, for which the county paid $10.00 per month to rent to the Church. It is now part of a private home.
A new Bishop's Storehouse constructed of brick was dedicated August 25, 1907. It was later used for church classrooms and seminary. In April 1964, it was leased to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers for their museum.
 
Erected 1988 by Cornelia and Loyhova Camps, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 442.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 37° 49.383′ N, 112° 26.001′ W. Marker is in Panguitch, Utah, in Garfield
Panguitch Tithing Lot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 12, 2014
2. Panguitch Tithing Lot Marker
County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Center Street and 100 East. Click for map. Marker is on wall just to the right of front door to the Bishops Store House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Center Street, Panguitch UT 84759, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Panguitch Stake Tabernacle (within shouting distance of this marker); The Panguitch Quilt Walk History (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Social Hall (about 400 feet away); Panguitch Fort (about 500 feet away); The Panguitch Quilt Walk (about 500 feet away); Podunk Guard Station (approx. 8.3 miles away); Red Canyon Tunnels (approx. 9.3 miles away); Butch Cassidy (approx. 9.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Panguitch.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Panguitch Tithing Lot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 12, 2014
3. Panguitch Tithing Lot Marker
Bishops Store House - Panguitch image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 12, 2014
4. Bishops Store House - Panguitch
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement