Buffalo Gap in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Buﬀalo Gap
Besides providing the native Apache and Comanche Indians with food, buffaloes drew the first white hunters here about 1874.
First homes in present town were dugouts of buffalo hunters. The community began to grow in 1878 when it was named county seat and was located on the Western Cattle Trail. In 1883, however, the new railroad town of Abilene became county seat and Buffalo Gap, like so many small Texas towns, lost prestige.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5523.)
Location. 32° 16.831′ N, 99° 49.596′ W. Marker is in Buffalo Gap, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of West Street and Vine Street, on the left when traveling south on West Street. Click for map. Marker is located at the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo Gap TX 79508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vicinity of Indian Fight (here, next to this marker); Buffalo Gap College (here, next to this marker); The Ernie Wilson Museum Taylor County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Buffalo Gap Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Taylor County (approx. 4 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps at Abilene State Park (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cedar Gap Community (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buffalo Gap.
Also see . . . Buffalo Gap, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association's “The Handbook of Texas”. (Submitted on June 23, 2014.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.