Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Benedum Center

Penn Liberty Historic District

 

—National Register of Historic Places —

 
The Benedum Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 23, 2014
1. The Benedum Center Marker
Inscription. This building, originally known as the Stanley Theater, was built in 1926-1927 by James Bly Clark as the Pittsburgh flagship of the Stanley-Clark Motion Picture Company. The architects were the Hoffman-Henon Company of Philadelphia, considered at the time to be the most important theater designers in the eastern United States. At its opening on February 28, 1928, the Stanley, with its lavish interior spaces and state of the art equipment, was considered at the forefront of modern theater design, and for decades was host to many varied entertainments. It survives today as a masterpiece from the great age of movie palaces.

The Stanley Theater and the adjacent Clark Building were built together as a single project which linked offices, commerce, and theater. This union is considered an important event in the evolution of urban multi-use developments. In addition, the theater's restrained English Renaissance exterior of brick, terracotta and limestone is important that in its design was considered regional. It was an attempt, as stated by the architects, to reflect the taste of the local patronage.

The slow decline of the theater was reversed in 1985-1986 when the Stanley underwent a full restoration and expansion by the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust and MacLachlan, Cornelius, & Filoni as architects, and was renamed the
The Benedum Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 23, 2014
2. The Benedum Center Marker
Benedum Center for the Performing Arts.
 
Erected 1995.
 
Location. 40° 26.572′ N, 79° 59.999′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Seventh Street and Liberty Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Pittsburgh Agreement (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters of Mercy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Granite Building (about 400 feet away); The Duquesne Club (about 500 feet away); Heinz Hall (about 600 feet away); Trinity Church Burying Ground (about 600 feet away); Fort Lafayette (about 600 feet away); Jane Grey Swisshelm Childhood Home (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Also see . . .  Benedum Center for the Performing Arts. Pittsburgh Cultural Trust (Submitted on June 23, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Categories. Entertainment
 
The Benedum Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 23, 2014
3. The Benedum Center Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement