Covington in Tipton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Tipton County in the Civil War
Behind the Lines
"The end of an evil year in the history of America—what another year will bring forth remained to be seen—perhaps and most likely the bloodiest war ever known in America, God forbid!" — Tipton County Court Clerk John T. Douglas, December 1861
On June 10, 1861, 943 residents of Tipton County voted in favor of secession with only 16 votes against. Local men already had begun forming volunteer military companies. The first of these, the Tipton Rifles, trained and drilled at the old fairgrounds in Covington under the command of Capt. John Turner until they departed for Germantown to become part of the 4th Tennessee Infantry. In all, the county furnished twelve companies for the Confederacy.
Although West Tennessee quickly came under the control of the Union army, Confederate Col. Robert V. Richardson completed the organization of the 1st Tennessee Regiment of Partisan Rangers at its main camp near Bloomington. Federal attempts to curtail the Rangersí activities resulted in numerous engagements throughout the county. The largest of these occurred in the Lemmon Woods near Covington in March 1863, where Union Col. Benjamin H. Griersonís cavalry attacked and scattered the Confederates then destroyed their camp and equipment.
Most of Tipton County was left untouched by war, with the
(lower left) Col. Robert V. Richardson Courtesy Tennessee Civil War National Heritage Area
(lower center) Confederates firing on Union gunboats Courtesy U.S. Naval Historical Center
(upper right) Confederate recruits drilling in camp, Harperís Weekly, Nov 9, 1861
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 33.834′ N, 89° 38.766′ W. Marker is in Covington, Tennessee, in Tipton County. Marker is at the intersection of East Pleasant Avenue (Tennessee Route 54) and East Court Square, on the left when traveling east on East Pleasant Avenue. Click for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Tipton County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Covington TN 38019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tipton County Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Goode (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cadmus Marcellus Wilcox (approx. ľ mile away); Charles B. Simonton (approx. half a mile away); General Jacob Tipton (approx. half a mile away); The Site of Byars-Hall High School (approx. half a mile away); Augustus Hill Garland (approx. half a mile away); Joe Brown Bivouac, U.C.V. (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Covington.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.