Escalante in Garfield County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
In February, 1875, a company of men came from Beaver, Utah and explored the valley. The first permanent settlers came from Beaver, Utah and explored the valley. The first permanent settlers arrived November, 1875.
The townsite was surveyed, homes built and a bowery erected.
July 4, 1876, in absence of a better flag, they hoisted a striped Navajo blanket.
The city was named for Father Escalante, a Spanish priest who visited Utah in 1776.
Organized as a Latter-Day Saint Ward Aug. 5, 1877.
Erected 1947 by Escalante Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 94.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 37° 46.213′ N, 111° 36.126′ W. Marker is in Escalante, Utah, in Garfield County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and South 100 W, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Escalante UT 84726, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 2 miles of this L.D.S. Tithing Office (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old White Church (about 600 feet away); First Public Building (about 800 feet away); Old Boulder Mail Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.