Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The globe within this monument contains water collected by the U.S.S. Triton (SSRN-586), from the twenty-two seas transited during the first submerged circumnavigation of the world in 1960.
This light is dedicated to the safe return of all those who go down to the sea in ships.
Erected 1959 by Class of 1945.
Location. 38° 58.885′ N, 76° 28.574′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Turner Joy Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the United States Naval Academy. A picture ID is required to enter the Academy grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Still on Patrol (a few steps from this marker); The Paddle Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sea Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Foremast of the U.S.S. Maine (within shouting distance of this marker); Vice Admiral William Porter Lawrence, USN (approx. Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale (approx. ¼ mile away); Admiral Ben Moreell (approx. ¼ mile away); Norman Scott Natatorium (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Annapolis.
Regarding Triton Light. About a year after the light was installed, USS Triton (SSN-586) completed her historic submerged circumnavigation. Considering the coincidence of names, the crew of Triton provided samples of water from the 22 seas through which their boat had passed, which were used to fill a globe built into the light.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for the USS Triton (SSRN-586). (Submitted on April 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Military • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,892 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.