Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Boundary Lines of Baltimore Town
Erected 1929 by the Baltimore Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 17.486′ N, 76° 36.561′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East Lexington Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore City Fire Department (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus (a few steps from this marker); War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles H. Dorsey, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Zion Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); James Cardinal Gibbons (within shouting distance of this A Tribute to Our Unsung Heroes (within shouting distance of this marker); Peale's Baltimore Museum - 1814 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker. Of six identical markers, this appears to be the only one remaining. At the very least, it is the only one at or near its original location. The five other markers were likely lost when the buildings that they were placed on were demolished. This marker is in the location of the star in the upper right corner of the map.
The marker was cast by J. Arthur Limerick, Founders, Baltimore. It was designed by R. Foxhall Nolley.
An article describing the markers, from the Baltimore Sun, dated September 10, 1929, reads as follows:
The Daughters of the American Revolution yesterday made public plans for dedicating six tablets marking the boundaries of the old city of Baltimore, in connection with the opening exercises of the Bi-Centennial celebration Thursday. The tablets will be presented to the city at noon.
Members of historical associations are asked to attend the ceremonies which will be held at the following locations and will be in charge of the groups
Mayor Broening To Speak
At the Civic Center, Holliday and Lexington streets, Mayor Broening will accept the tablet which will be presented to the city by Mrs. Ferdinand B. Focke. The Mayor will make a brief address.
The tablet in the wall of Parish Bros.' Building, Lombard street and Exchange Place, will be presented by Mrs. William F. Rogers, on behalf of the Daughters. It will be accepted by former Mayor J. Barry Mahool.
A third tablet, in the United States Fidelity and Guaranty Building, Water and Calvert streets, will be presented by Mrs. George W. Slosum and accepted by former Mayor James H. Preston.
At Charles and Balderston streets, Mrs. Samuel Alexander Hill, chaplain of the Baltimore Chapter of the Daughters, has been appointed to unveil the tablet. It will be accepted by Judge Walter I. Dawkins.
Bryant To Accept Tablet
Mrs. Herman Lohmeyer will present and Howard Bryant, President of the City Council, will accept the memorial in the wall of Miller Bros. & Co., Northeast corner of Redwood street and Hopkins place. In the Daily Record Building, Saratoga street and Church lane, Mrs. Frederick T. Mosher will present the tablet which will be accepted by Theodore R. McKeldin, secretary to Mayor Broening.
The tablets are of bronze and measure two feet by three feet. They are a gift of the Baltimore Chapter of the
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,207 times since then and 165 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.