Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hixson in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

“Old Dallas”

 
 
"Old Dallas" Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, June 16, 2014
1. "Old Dallas" Marker
Inscription. In 1822 the site of Hamilton County’s first Courthouse with post office was located ½ mi. NE on land of Asahel Rawlings, In 1830 a town called Dallas was founded with Commissioners Robert Patterson, Chmn., Daniel Henderson, Jeremiah H. Jones, William McGill, James Riddle, and Cornelius Milligan. In 1834 the population was 200, with 4 stores, 2 taverns, 2 doctors, 1 lawyer, and 1 blacksmith. The county seat was moved in 1840.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2A 62.)
 
Location. 35° 11.313′ N, 85° 8.213′ W. Marker is near Hixson, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Gold Point Cir North 2.7 miles north of Hixson Pike (Tennessee Route 319), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located in the Chester Frost Park camping area. Marker is in this post office area: Hixson TN 37343, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Vann's Town (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Harrison (approx. 3.6 miles away); Poe's Tavern (approx. 4.9 miles away); Harrison Academy (approx. 5.4 miles away);
Wide view of the “Old Dallas” Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, June 16, 2014
2. Wide view of the “Old Dallas” Marker
Sherman Crosses the River (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bonny Oaks School (approx. 8.3 miles away); Cleburne's Fort (approx. 8.4 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Exploring Chattanooga's Islands - Dallas Island - 01/19/2003 - Chattanoogan. (Submitted on June 27, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
“Old Dallas” image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, June 16, 2014
3. “Old Dallas”
Cemeteries dotting the Chester Frost Park are the last vestiges of Dallas, which by flooded by the creation of Chickamauga Lake.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement