“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manchaca in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Education in Manchaca

Education in Manchaca Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Heinich, March 30, 2013
1. Education in Manchaca Marker
Inscription. The Community of Manchaca, named for a campsite of Tejano Army Officer Josť Antonio Menchaca. First received a post office in 1851. Early educational efforts included an 1870s subscription school in a one-room frame schoolhouse on Onion Creek. The first public school began in the early 1880s and was held in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church near Onion Creek and adjoining Live Oak Cemetery. This building was also known as "Old Rock Church," and Professor Alfred H. Decherd was the principal.

The building of the International and Great Northern Railroad tracks through Manchaca in 1881 brought an influx of new settlers and increased economic activity. In 1883 a new public schoolhouse was built immediately east of this site. The one-story brick building with bell tower was expanded with a second story in the 1910s, which added cafeteria and auditorium space. The school offered seven grades, and students went to nearby towns such as Buda for high school education. Separate schools for African American and Mexican American students operated east and northeast of this site, respectively, beginning early in the 20th century.

The second story of the school was deemed unsafe in the 1950s and was removed, and a new wing of classrooms was added in 1957. Manchaca schools joined with Oak Hill in 1961 to form a rural high school
Education in Manchaca Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Heinich, March 30, 2013
2. Education in Manchaca Marker
district, and in the 1960s Manchaca schools became fully integrated. The Austin Independent School District annexed the Manchaca-Oak Hill District in 1967. Just west of the historic school site, in an area previously known as Dodson's Park, a new school, Josť Antonio Menchaca Elementary School, opened in 1976.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commisison. (Marker Number 16207.)
Location. 30° 8.479′ N, 97° 50.006′ W. Marker is in Manchaca, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Manchaca Road (County Road 2304) and Farm to Market Road 1626, on the right when traveling south on Manchaca Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12120 Manchaca Road, Austin TX 78748, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manchaca United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Live Oak Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Antioch Colony (approx. 4 miles away); Buda (approx. 4.1 miles away); Boggy Creek Masonic Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Cementerio Mexicano de Maria de la Luz (approx. 4.5 miles away); Onion Creek Lodge 220, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Manchaca.
More about this marker. The marker is on the grounds of the new elementary school. The old school to the east has been torn down and replaced by a church.
Categories. African AmericansEducationHispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016.
Paid Advertisement