New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel
Jane and John Sheldon built a large hotel on this mound circa 1859. During the Civil War, the structure was destroyed by cannon fire from union ships.
After the Civil War, Jane Sheldon built a smaller structure that served as a pioneer general store, port collector's office, boarding house and print shop, which published The Florida Star, one of the region's early newspapers. Structural problems forced the building's removal circa 1900.
Erected 2010 by the Jane Sheldon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, New Smyrna Beach, Florida.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 29° 1.636′ N, 80° 55.307′ W. Marker is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on North Riverside Drive just north of Julia Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is located along the edge of Old Fort Park, on the east side directly across from the city marina. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Riverside Drive, New Smyrna Beach FL 32168, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna (within shouting distance of this marker); Anniversary of Shelling by Union Gunboats (within shouting distance of this marker); To the Past... (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Andrew Turnbull (about 500 feet away); Old St. Rita Colored Mission Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Coronado Beach House (approx. 2 miles away); Hotel Inlet Terrace (approx. 3.5 miles away); Jesse Linzy (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Smyrna Beach.
More about this marker. The plaque features the emblem of the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is mounted on the side of a block of coquina, which sits in the grass in front of the old foundation structure.
The coquina foundation and adjacent Timucuan shell midden are collectively the Old Fort Park Archeological Site, which was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 2008 (NRHP #08000629). Additionally, the site as well as the historical marker lie inside the boundaries of the New Smyrna Beach Historic District, which has also been recognized by the NRHP.
Regarding Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel. Much speculation over many years has been made regarding
Most historians attribute the ruins to the British colony of New Smyrna, settled in 1768. Some have speculated that it was a Colonial church. Another theory claims that it was to be a grand mansion for the colony's founder, Dr. Andrew Turnbull. Given the resources needed to quarry coquina and build such a massive structure, devoting such effort to a private home would have meant ignoring the colony's greater needs at at time when it was struggling to survive.
One of the more likely explanations is that the foundation was built to support a storehouse for the colony, which they would have used to shelter important supplies as well as store the crops they grew while they awaited shipment.
The "Turnbull Ruins", as they are widely known today, were not mentioned by Dr. Turnbull in any of his letters, so their exact origin and purpose remain a subject of debate and curiosity among archaeologists and historians.
Also see . . .
1. Hidden Treasures - Historical Highlights of New Smyrna's Past (Submitted on June 29, 2014, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
2. Mystery Surrounds New Smyrna's Historic Turnbull Ruins. (Submitted on June 29, 2014, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Categories. • Communications • Man-Made Features • Native Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 155 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 4, 5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 9. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.