Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ephraim in Sanpete County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Canute Peterson House

 
 
Canute Peterson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 14, 2014
1. Canute Peterson House Marker
Inscription. Constructed of local brick and stone in 1869 by Canute Peterson and his eldest son, Peter, this house (as well as the two homes just north built for his other two wives) is significant as one of Ephraim's oldest pioneer homes and as the home of one of Utah's most prominent citizens. A native of Norway, Canute Peterson joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1842 after immigrating to the United States in 1837. He returned to Scandinavia as a missionary in 1852-56, and as a president of the Scandinavian Mission from 1871-73. Appointed Bishop of Ephraim by Brigham Young, Canute Peterson moved from Lehi to Ephraim in 1867 where he constructed this house two years later. From 1877 to 1900 he was president of Sanpete Stake, then it was divided and he became president of the South Sanpete Stake. He was ordained a patriarch by George Q. Cannon on May 15, 1892. Under his leadership local cooperative economic enterprises were instituted. During the construction of the Manti Temple, he served as assistant superintendent to architect W.H. Folsom, Canute Peterson lived in this home until his death in 1902.
 
Erected by Division of State History. (Marker Number N-191.)
 
Location. 39° 21.605′ N, 111° 35.214′ 
Canute Peterson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 14, 2014
2. Canute Peterson House Marker
W. Marker is in Ephraim, Utah, in Sanpete County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 North Main Street, Ephraim UT 84627, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ephraim Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ephraim Relief Society Granary (about 400 feet away); Indian Massacre (about 400 feet away); Ephraim Co-op Building (about 500 feet away); Fort Ephraim Peace Treaty (about 500 feet away); The Old Fort (about 600 feet away); John Dorius, Jr., House and Barn (about 700 feet away); Fort Ephraim (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ephraim.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Canute Peterson House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 14, 2014
3. Canute Peterson House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement