“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Pleasant in Maury County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

The Bigby Greys

Story of Service

The Bigby Greys Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 23, 2014
1. The Bigby Greys Marker
Inscription. Here on the square, on April 20, 1861, a hundred local men under Capt. Daniel F. Wade were sworn into Confederate service as the Bigby Greys. The women of Mt. Pleasant presented the company with its first flag, in the first Confederate national pattern. It bears the motto, “When they meet the foe, we feel secure.” The company sent the flag home from its first camp, because only regiments were permitted to carry colors. Union garrison troops stationed here later confiscated the flag, which is now on display at the nearby Mt. Pleasant Museum.

The Bigby Greys became Co. C, 3rd Tennessee Infantry. The company first fought at Fort Donelson in February 1862, surrendered, and was imprisoned at Camp Douglas near Chicago. It was paroled in September 1862 and exchanged in November at Vicksburg. It remained in Mississippi during Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grantís campaign and fought in the battles around Port Hudson, Vicksburg, and Raymond.

Late in 1863, the regiment fought conspicuously in the Battle of Chickamauga, losing half its already depleted strength. It fought at Missionary Ridge and all through the Atlanta campaign, then marched north with Confederate Gen. John Bell Hoodís army as it moved into Tennessee. On November 26, the remainder of the Bigby Greys marched quickly by this spot. The 3rd Infantry, which
The Bigby Greys Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 23, 2014
2. The Bigby Greys Marker
in 1861 numbered more than a thousand, was consolidated with the 18th Tennessee and totaled just seventeen men.

This small remnant soldiered on through the rest of the war, fighting in the last battle at Bentonville, North Carolina. The unit was surrendered on April 26, 1865 and then paroled on May 1 at Greensboro, North Carolina.

(lower left) Camp Douglas, Harperís Weekly, April 5, 1862
(upper center) Lt. Johnson Long (left) in Greys uniform Courtesy Mary Clark Long
(upper right) Capturing Confederate artillery on Missionary Ridge, Harperís Weekly, January 2, 1864
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 32.053′ N, 87° 12.437′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Tennessee, in Maury County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (Tennessee Route 166/243) and Hay Long Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant TN 38474, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rattle and Snap Plantation (approx. 3.6 miles away); St. John's Episcopal Church
Confederate Monument image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 23, 2014
3. Confederate Monument
Erected in memory of our Confederate Soldiers by the Bigby Gray Chapter U.D.C. The love gratitude and and memory of the people of the South shall gild their fame in one eternal sunshine
(approx. 4.7 miles away); Delaying Forrest (approx. 4.7 miles away); St. John's (approx. 4.7 miles away); Forrest and Capron (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sam Watkins (approx. 5.7 miles away); Frierson Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Jonathan Webster (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement