Thompson's Station in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Prelude to Franklin
óHood's Campaign ó
In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Shermanís supply lines. Rather than contest Shermanís “March to the Sea,” Hood moved north into Tennessee. Gen. John M. Schofield, detached from Shermanís army, delayed Hood at Columbia and Spring Hill before falling back to Franklin. The bloodbath there on November 30 crippled the Confederates, but they followed Schofield to the outskirts of Nashville and Union Gen. George H. Thomasís strong defenses. Hoodís campaign ended when Thomas crushed his army on December 15-16.
On November 29, 1864, just one day before the Battle of Franklin, an action occurred here at Thompsonís Station that alarmed Union Gen. John M. Schofieldís army as it marched north toward Nashville from Spring Hill. For a time, Lt. Col. Daniel W. McCoy and the 175th Ohio Infantry had occupied ground near the railroad depot. Soon, however, Confederate Gen. Lawrence S. Roseís cavalry brigade from Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrestís command drove off the Ohio regiment, burned the bridge and depot, and attacked a train arriving from the south. The engineer backed hastily toward Spring Hill and spread the word, which raised concerns that the Federal escape
Another action was fought here on March 5, 1863, when Union Col. John Coburnís infantry and cavalry engaged Confederate Gen. Earl Van Dornís cavalry. Some of the fighting swirled around the nearby Thompson House now called Homestead Manor. Forrestís cavalrymen galloped in from the east, got behind some of the Union infantrymen on the other side of the road and cut off their retreat. Coburnís attack suddenly collapsed, and more than 1,000 Union soldiers surrendered. Just two months later, local physician George Peters murdered Van Dorn at Spring Hill, having discovered the general was having an affair with Peterís young wife.
(lower left) Gen. Lawrence S. Ross Courtesy Texas Ranger Hall of Fame
(upper center) Postwar photograph of rebuilt Thompsonís Station - Courtesy Rick Warwick Collection
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 48.008′ N, 86° 54.614′ W. Marker is in Thompson's Station, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Thompson's Station Road West and School Street, on the right when traveling west on Thompson's Station Road West. Click for map. The marker is located at the Thompson's Station Depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1502 Thompsons Station Rd W, Thompsons Station TN 37179, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson's Station Train Depot (here, next to this marker); Battle of Thompsonís Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hood and Schofield (approx. 2.9 miles away); William Banks Caperton (approx. 3.4 miles away); Spring Hill, Tennessee ~ November 29, 1864 (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Town of Spring Hill, Tennessee (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ewell Farm (approx. 3.6 miles away); Martin Cheairs Home (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.