“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Maplewood Cemetery

City of Pulaski, Tennessee

Maplewood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 24, 2014
1. Maplewood Cemetery Marker
Inscription. In 1854, the City Board of Mayor and Aldermen of Pulaski recognized the need for an additional cemetery. The initial purchase of what is now Maplewood Cemetery was approximately seven acres. The first lots were sold in 1855. This original design of what was named “New Pulaski Cemetery,” shows the names of the original purchasers of lots. Transfers have taken place over the years. According to the best records available, the first person to be buried here was Robert H. Watkins.

The eastern section of the “New Pulaski Cemetery” was designated as “Potter’s Field”, and indigents and unknowns were given a dignified internment there.

The City Board controlled this property until 1856 when an Act of the Tennessee General Assembly was passed and a charter for a corporation granted. A Board of Trustees was appointed by the City Board to manage the affairs of the cemetery. Oversight continued with Trustees for 139 years until in 1995 the ownership of the cemetery was transferred back to the City of Pulaski.

In 1880 it was suggested that a more attractive name should be given to this “Silent City,” The Board of Trustees appointed a committee and suggestions for a new name were made through the columns of the Pulaski Citizen. The name, Maplewood, was suggested
Maplewood Cemetery Established 1854 image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 24, 2014
2. Maplewood Cemetery Established 1854
The National Register of Historic Places-Tennessee Historical Commission
by Mrs. John A. Jackson. It was accepted and the cemetery was formally re-named.

More land has been added over the years, the first of which was six acres on the south side, added in 1878, including a specific area for burial of “Negro citizens.”

Times of turmoil are represented by the graves of those who fought in the Civil War, two World Wars, Korea and Vietnam.

This place reflects the history of Pulaski and Giles County as the rich and poor, prominent and unknown, rest in graves marked by unique and beautiful statuary or simple ground stones.
Erected by Pulaski Heritage Trail.
Location. 35° 11.574′ N, 87° 1.742′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is on South Rhodes Street near East Cemetery Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located just inside the cemetery entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas McKissack Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); General John Calvin Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); General John Adams, CSA (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Maplewood Cemetery-partial view image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 24, 2014
3. Maplewood Cemetery-partial view
Edward Everett Eslick (1872-1932) (about 600 feet away); John Adams (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nunahi-Duna-Dlo-Hily-I (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Benge Route (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pulaski.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement