Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Eufaula First United Methodist Church

 
 
Eufala First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
March 20, 2010
1. Eufala First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The origins of this church date back to 1834 when Methodists, under the leadership of Jesse Burch and others, met to worship and formed a Sunday School. A frame Greek Revival edifice, at the corner of Livingston and Barbour Streets, was completed in 1838 and used until 1873 when it was sold to the Jewish congregation. In 1875 a new brick house of worship was built at the corner of Eufaula and Barbour Streets. It was razed in 1914 and the existing Gothic Revival church building was completed in 1917. The adjacent administration building, formerly the parsonage, was constructed in 1881.
 
Erected 1996 by Eufaula First United Methodist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
 
Location. 31° 53.477′ N, 85° 8.736′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is at the intersection of East Barbour Street (U.S. 82) and South Eufaula Avenue (U.S. 431), on the right when traveling east on East Barbour Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Barbour Street, Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cowikee Cotton Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Eufaula
Eufala First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
March 20, 2010
2. Eufala First United Methodist Church Marker
(about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); In Honor of All World War II Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hart House (approx. mile away); World War I Doughboy (approx. mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. mile away); The Creek Town of Eufaula (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eufaula.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 844 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on . Photos:   1. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama.   2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement